Maroua—Four suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers were killed in two foiled attacks the Mayo Sava division of the Far North region of the country early last Wednesday January 11 in an attempt to strike, the Governor of the Far North region told the Cameroon Radio Television, CRTV.
Midjiyawa Bakary said members of the vigilante group spotted two teenaged girls of approximately fifteen years. “One detonated her explosive killing only herself while the other one was neutralised by elements of the Rapid Intervention Battalion, BIR.”
Shortly after the two young girls, BIR elements identified two young boys of about sixteen years old in another locality still in the border division. Both detonated their suicide vests that killed only them, the administrative officer of the Far North region explained congratulating members of the vigilante and the security forces in the area.
The two foiled attacks occurred a day after Communication Minister and Government spokesperson, Issa Tchiroma Bakary told a press conference in Yaounde the military offensive against Boko Haram across the Nigerian border has made major progress, with scores of jihadists killed and hundreds of hostages freed since December.
“Several manufacturing units of explosive devices were destroyed, a dozen of explosive devices was neutralized, training camps were dismantled, a hundred of terrorists were definitively neutralized, over thirty fighters were captured and handed over to Nigerian Forces, hundreds of hostages were freed and handed over to Nigerian Forces,” Issa Tchiroma said of the progress made by the defense force in the locality of Ngoshe and its surroundings in the Nigerian territory. This reporter could however independently verify the government claims.
He said the operations were carried out “in perfect synergy” with the Army of the Federal Republic of Nigeria under the banner of the Multinational Joint Taskforce.
The victories however did not come without a price as three elements of the Cameroonian forces were killed, the minister regretted.
Since Nigeria announced a key victory against Boko Haram in December, claiming the group had been routed from its Sambisa Forest bastion, Cameroon has intensified operations along its northern border.
“Thanks to the commitment of our Defense and Security Forces, of administrative authorities, of vigilance committees and of the entire Nation, it is clear today that Boko Haram is experiencing its last moments in this aggression led against our country,” Issa Tchiroma said urging for vigilance because “although it has been considerably weakened, this nebula still has some capacity to harm.”
Boko Haram's brutal insurgency, launched in northern Nigeria in 2009, has spread across the border to Cameroon, Chad and Niger.
By Ndi Eugene Ndi in Yaounde